BBQ Turkey Drumsticks with Chipotle Glaze
With Thanksgiving around the corner, here's an alternative to your traditional butter ball turkey.
Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 135 min
1 cup salt (250 ml)
1 cup of hot water (250 ml)
1 cup molasses (250 ml)
2 lemons, sliced
2 onions, quartered
1 head of garlic, smashed
1 large bunch of rosemary
1 Tbsp black peppercorns (15 ml)
8 cup cold water (2 l)
8 turkey drumsticks
Salt and pepper
Pureed chipotle in adobo sauce, store-bought
1. Pour the hot water in a large and deep non-reactive pan, bucket or large cooler, stir in the salt and molasses until fully dissolved, and then add the lemon, onions, garlic, rosemary and peppercorns.
2. Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
1. Prepare your barbecue for indirect grilling by placing about 10 to 12 charcoal briquettes on only one side of the barbecue. Once the barbecue reaches 400 F (200 C), place the turkey drumsticks on the grill on the opposite side of the briquettes.
2. Brush with melted butter and close the lid of your barbecue.
3. Turn and baste the drumsticks every half hour with melted butter. Roast the drumsticks for about 2 hours or until it reaches 160 F (75 C) on a meat thermometer.
4. For serving: Brush the drumstick with puréed chipotle adobo sauce, store-bought.