The flavour is in the wood
Wood will add a smokey scent and flavour to the food that you cook on the barbeque, smoker and even in the campfire. A few things to know about wood:
- Use only dry (not fresh) hardwood and fruitwood (approximately 2 yrs old).
- Wood comes in many forms: chips, chunks, blocks and pellets.
- To start, use approximately 2 handfuls of chips and/or pellets, 3 chunks or 1 block.
- Presoak chips, chunks and blocks in water for 2 hours to 2 days. Do not soak pellets.
- For gas bbqs and gas smokers place wood in cast iron smoker tray (contains ashes, keeps burners clean). For charcoal bbqs and charcoal smokers, place soaked wood directly on embers.
- Smoked food is an art not a science. Experiment with different flavours, combine flavours and try different amounts.
The flavour print of wood
- Hickory & Pecan
Powerful flavouring woods where a little goes a long way. The wood makes great coal for grilling. Excellent for hot or cold smoking, a combination of 20% hickory and 80% oak/apple/etc is a surefire winner.
Has a potent flavour that some like and many dislike. The wood is excellent for grilling where the short cooking time prevents it from overpowering the food. Not recommended for long-term smoking.
The most commonly used wood for smoking. It imparts excellent flavour without becoming too strong- outstanding for grilling and smoking.
- Fruit Woods: apple, cherry, maple
Especially suitable for mild meats, fish, and veggies, but can be used with any food when smoking.
Mild flavoured woods excellent for fish, poultry and seafood.
- All Herbs
Make an instant impact. A few herb limbs can add a distinctive and delicious flavour to the food. Always pre-soak.
The following is a basic guideline for coupling wood flavours with food types. This is only a guide – once you get a taste for the different woods – experiment!! You can check out our woods (and other accessories here).
|Type of Food||Highly Recommended||Try it!|
|Beef||Hickory, Mesquite||Cherry, Pecan|
|Pork||Apple, Cherry||Maple, Pecan, Mesquite|
|Poultry||Maple, Hickory||Pecan, Alder|
|Lamb||Cherry, Apple||Maple, Hickory|
|Fish||Pecan, Alder||Maple, Hickory|
|Shellfish||Alder, Hickory||Apple, Cherry|
|Flavour||Chips||Mini Chunks||Large Chunks||Herbs|