Following in the ancient clay cooker kamado tradition, Saffire Charcoal grills is a more recent entry into the ceramic egg and oval shaped cookers. And while it may not be as well known as others, these grills are definitely worth consideration. Here at store, we’re asked all the time, ‘is it a smoker?’, ‘is it a grill?’, ‘can it act as an oven?’ and the answer is… yes! That’s what makes the Saffire and other kamado charcoal grills so popular.
The tight seal and heavy ceramic construction of Saffire holds and controls heat like no other type of grill can. And that works both ways – whether achieving high heat perfect for searing, or maintaining low sustained heat necessary for smoking – the combination of heavy duty ceramics, tight seal and temperature control mean amazing results whatever your goal is.
About.com’s reviewer Derrick Riches writes, “What separates this charcoal grill and smoker from most the others is the quality of the components. With stainless steel bands, cooking grate, and nesting cart and a cast stainless top vent cap, this Kamado has better parts.”
Features unique to Saffire are:
- 18″ cooking grid
- Stainless Steel Hinge, Bands, Springs and Hardware - Highest quality stainless steel alloys throughout the grill for anti corrosion and longevity.
- Stainless Steel Setting Cart - Strong and sturdy design for better mobility. Quick assembly. Includes Bamboo Side Shelves with Stainless Steel Tool hooks & Towel bar.
- Cast Stainless Steel Damper Control - Another feature par-excellence in kamado industry.Allows precision adjustment of airflow and grill temperature.
- Stainless Steel Cooking Grid - Use any type of spatula, brush, or scraper without having to worry about chipping or scratching porcelain, even if dropped on a hard surface.
- Hinged Access Door in Cooking Grid - Provides access to the fire without removing the cooking grid. Use for adding or adjusting charcoal and wood chips/chunks.
- ½ to ¼ Assembly Time - Preassembled ceramic grill head including side shelves! 1/2 to 1/4 assembly time of most other ceramic grills.
- Saffire also offers a number of quality optional accessories such as the wood cart (shown in main picture at top), the smokin’ chip feeder for woods, additional grates for multiple cooking levels, and more.
Features and Benefits:
Durable non-fading ceramic glaze.
The heavy ceramic dome construction has gaskets providing a tight seal which makes the Saffire highly efficient. This allows the grill to operate on minimal charcoal quantities while smoking food for many hours. Even ideal for use in cold winter climates.
The efficient design of the Saffire requires a minimal amount of air to keep it hot. With less air flow, there is less drying, so the food retains its moisture. This eliminates the need for a water pan.
The minimal air flow also prevents runaway fires. Since the temperature fluctuates very little, it’s easy to maintain your desired temperature for hours.
Wide Temperature Range
Easily sustains temperatures from less than 200 to over 800 degrees internally.
The exterior surface remains much cooler than that of a steel grill.
The sealed dome construction provides a more even heat and effective distribution of smoked flavor into the food. Taste it and you’ll believe it!
When operating with the lid closed and the air vents adjusted properly, minimal air prevents flare-ups. This also prevents woodchips that are not soaked from burning up too quickly, allowing the desired smoked flavor to be achieved.
The Saffire Grill and Smoker does it all… better! 3 Cookers in 1:
Hotter temperatures for searing.
Lower, even temperatures for long-term smoking.
Excellent heat radiation for use as an oven.
Quick Start Up
With Natural Lump Charcoal, you’ll have your Saffire Grill and Smoker up to temperature in only 10 minutes. With a small firelighter square, or an electric charcoal starter, you’ll be amazed how quickly the fire starts with concentrated airflow from underneath the grate.
Minimal Charcoal Usage
½ to ¼ the charcoal usage of average grills and smokers. On low, a load of charcoal burns for hours in the Saffire. When finished cooking, just close the air controls and you’ll have charcoal left in the grill for next time.
With thick ceramic walls, the inner firebox walls stay hotter than a typical steel smoker, so there isn’t a messy build-up of grease to be cleaned. The high internal temperatures make the Saffire self-cleaning. Just brush away the burned residue from the cooking grid and you’re ready to go.